Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Highway Architecture

I didn't draw these while driving to Chicago yesterday, but I could have. Ever since I was a boy I've been looking with a strange fixity at the elements of the landscape seen from the road: pylons, farmsteads, fields, roadside architecture, signage. Each element is a kind of milepost, a punctuation mark. Each diverging road leads off in another direction, vanishing at a horizon that seems more interesting than the one I am driving towards. I have written stories, essays, film-scripts and part of a novel around this lifelong habit of observation. But the pictures contain stories in themselves. Someday I'd like to publish a book with these pictures and no words at all. Interested publishers should feel free to call me.

No comments:

Post a Comment